The History of South Cave
Though probably very much older, the earliest mention of South Cave in literature appears in the 11th century. The origins of the name Cave are unknown, the most likely being the Anglian 'caf' meaning a fast flowing stream. The town was granted a charter to hold a market and fair by King Edward I in 1291 and in 1796 a purpose-built market hall was built in the Market Place. The market died out in the 1850s and the fair in 1939.
The parish of South Cave has an irregular shape, extending from Weedley in the east, to Drewton in the north, Broomfleet in the west and the Humber bank in the south, covering some 2361 hectares [5834 acres]. At present there are some 1500 dwellings in the town giving a population of some 4500. The school has a roll of 440 pupils. There are three places of worship, All Saints Church, the Methodist Church and the United Reform Church. Other amenities include a doctors' practice, dental practice, mobile optician, pharmacist, post office, library, bank, two public houses, several shops, two hotels, sports facilities etc. Further details are contained in the Guide to Activities, Amenities and Services, published by the Parish Council.
Formed in 1896, the Council first occupied the Town Hall in 1906. This building was formerly the Market Hall and Cross School, built in 1796 by Henry Boldero Barnard of Cave Castle, and in planning terms is a Grade II listed building. The ground floor front was the open arcaded market hall, which remains largely, unaltered and the first floor Council Chamber was the rent room until 1841, when it was converted into the schoolroom. The rear of the building was the schoolmaster's family home. The present tower clock was installed by public subscription in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. The Parish Council extensively renovated the building in 1999 as its Millennium contribution to the town.
The Parish Council, currently made up of 11 members, is responsible for the administration of the Allotments, the Cemetery, the Town Hall, footpaths, footpath lighting and seats, litter bins, open spaces, such as the Play Park and King George V Playing Field. The Parish Council also has the right to make comments on any planning application, which the Local Planning Authority must take into account.
The business of the Council is conducted by the Council at meetings held on the third Monday of each month, except August, at the Town Hall at 7.00pm. The Council's work, such as planning, and the cemetery, etc, is sometimes carried out by Committees, then brought to Council for approval. The Council is also able to call on the expertise of Tree Wardens, Footpath Wardens, and a Buildings Advisor.
Diary of Robert Sharp
Robert Sharp was the headmaster of South Cave village school from 1804 until his death in 1843.